Sunday, October 14, 2012

Oct. 14 Dear Matthew

What has happened to you? I dare not believe these words are written by the hand of the man I know and love. You are the goodness that has carried me through life. The simple joy of knowing I would soon see you has long been my only encouragement to face each day. You are my best friend. You are my confidant. You are my love. You are everything that is good within me. How you dare you say such things about yourself?  You are not your brother nor do you need to carry the burdens your father has placed upon your shoulders. You are a strong, beautiful man that holds the power of your own destiny. It is you that has told me this of myself.  If it is not true for you then how can I believe it for myself?

There has not been a moment pass that I have not lamented over the words that poured out of my mouth when everything in my being was screaming to say yes to you.There has long been a wall that has stood between us that I have yet to find the way of overcoming. My father still chooses to see you as the boy raised in a family that he perceives to be unworthy of me. I have been your champion from the moment of our first acquaintance adamantly proclaiming your every good and outstanding quality to change his perception of you. I have witnessed the change occurring in his eyes slowly, day by day, but I have not had enough time to remove the veil from his eyes completely as you have said. That was my first thought and I carelessly allowed that thought to rule over the words I spoke when I should have explained to you the reason why I cannot accept your proposal just yet. It is not me that does not want you or see you as unworthy, it is the injustice of this world that my father chooses to prescribe to that I must battle against and win before he will allow me to marry you.

I do not want to become a slave to this world. I want to have that freedom that you said was waiting for the both of us. But I am not foolish enough to believe that freedom does not come with a cost. The man I marry, that receives my father's approval, will be a man that marries not only into my family's wealth, but also the family legacy because I am my father's only child to carry it on. It would be foolish for us both to throw away everything our future has in store for us only to live as vagabonds trying to survive in this cruel world. All is not lost my love if you will only hold to your patience and give me the time necessary to prove to my father the man you truly are. Please forgive me for my rash carelessness and know that my love for you is more than I could ever express in any manner that would give it justice.

Please my love, do not give up on me.

Forever yours,
Serenity


No comments:

Post a Comment