Friday, October 19, 2012

Oct. 19 Dear Matthew

How dare you!  Do you honestly believe that my feelings are nothing more than random whims dependent upon on the winds of change?  Do you think that all you need to do is whisper a contradictory thought and it would create ripples of doubt and uncertainty until I can no longer care for you?  I am no fickle child with flighty ambitions that alter with the slightest sparkle of distraction.  I may only be seventeen years of age but I am no fool.  In fact, if I remember correctly, that was one of the things you enjoyed about me enough to mention it quite often.  You said I was mature beyond my years so now why are you treating me as an ignorant child you can tease and distract until I move away to another direction?

Perhaps my maturity comes from living motherless these past ten years but I am not naive of a man's manipulative ways when it comes to coddling and placating a woman into doing whatever the man desires.  My father, the good man that you have claimed him to be, is the king of manipulation.  I have listened to far too many of his drunken rants and so called "client dinners' that are nothing more than sessions of vipers trying to outwit the other.  My father sees everything as a business venture and I am now his greatest asset to tempt his latest round of vipers with.  I have never spoken of these things with you because when I am with you I want forget it all and simply be with you, the man that loves me for me, not for the bargaining chip I could potentially be for the next big investor.

My father, perhaps a visionary that is a little unconventional,  has raised me to take charge of the business if something where to happen to him before I am wed.  Do not think for one moment that I am looking for a man to replace my fathers as a means to care for me.  I can take care of myself and this despicable business of my fathers.

Perhaps you are right. Perhaps I do not know you.  The man I thought you to be loved me and would fight for me, not bow down and cower at the first sign of adversity.  If our love was nothing more than a fantasy to you than perhaps I am a fool.  I long thought myself capable of seeing beyond the facade that men hide behind to prevent their true weaknesses from being revealed. It is a skill my father has spent these many years teaching me.  I suppose I have not mastered it as I believed and my father was able to see the things my love for you blinded me from.  I thought you to be my champion when you have proven to be nothing more than a dreamer that must now face reality and it is time to cast me away.

So I suppose I must thank you now for your kind lesson in the nature of love.  It is fickle and only meaningful when the fancy strikes and must be cast away when duties of life call.  For that I could never forget you. For to forget you would be to forget this valuable lesson and I will not allow my heart to endure such foolishness again.  You have put me in my place.   You have reminded me that I am nothing but a senseless woman that must look to my duties rather than my heart.  I only hope that in some way I have proven to be as useful to you as you have been to me.  Perhaps during some night you will look up to the stars and they will strike a memory of the many nights we have sat together beneath them and you will think of me as more than a senseless fool.

Serenity

No comments:

Post a Comment