Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Oct. 2 Dear Matthew

You're brother came to visit me today.  I was in such a shock to see him coming down the lane that my heart was certain it was you.  When I was able to discern that it was Jonathan instead, my heart nearly broke in two.  But that was only a precursor to what my heart is feeling now.  He brought me your letter.  Although I cannot be certain, I feel he is playing a trick on me.  The words that I read on the paper are not the words of my Matthew.  I simply cannot envision you being filled with such hatred.  I know that your brother has never approved of me.  You have said so yourself.  But why he would play such a heartless trick is beyond my comprehension.

I have chosen to ignore the letter until I can see you face to face and prove him to be the scoundrel others have often accused you of being.  You are not a man of hate that this letter portrays you of and I will prove I can not be duped.

I have spoken to my father and he has given me permission to visit my Aunt Rose in London.  I am thankful I have never spoken to him of what has occurred between us.  If he knew he would most likely forbid me to go.  But as such, I will be leaving this Saturday.  Aunt Rose is elderly enough that she prefers to stay home rather than take in the town.  This should offer me the freedom necessary to find you.

Until that day my love, I will remember you as I have every other night before this terrible mistake occurred. I will remember you softly whispering in my ear, telling me good night under the soft moonlight.  The sound of your voice will guide me to my slumber as I dream of you.  I will no longer recall the awful mist that took you away from me.  Instead I will reminisce of the soft gentle kisses you would leave on my cheek just before you would leave me for the night.  Good night my love.  I will see you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment