Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Oct. 23 Dearest Serenity

My, and I thought I was the only one guilty of portraying myself falsely.  Perhaps my eyes have been clouded over more than I imagined.  Where have you hidden this vixen all this time?  I thought you were a young innocent lady that I was in danger of corrupting, but perhaps I was wrong.  I have to say, this new version of you is very intriguing.

Never the less my love, we are from two different sides of the spectrum of society in which are never meant to mingle. You are from wealth and status; high society. I am of the working class; humble and beneath your standards. Your father will never allow us to wed. He would have my head on a spike before he allowed me to take your hand from him.

My dear, I know your father well. He has employed my brother on several occasions for matters in which I will not speak of. I only tell you this because I want you to understand that your father knows my family more than he has conveyed to you. In fact, he keeps our family in check by keeping our association with him from common knowledge. The tasks that he pays my family quite generously for could very easily destroy us if we were ever to anger him in any way.

When I asked you to marry me I was foolish thinking we could run away from everything. I thought I could turn my back on my family and you yours. But as I said, it is foolish. We would only spend the rest of our lives running only to be caught and heaven forbid what would be done to us. For this very reason, I must beg you to stop our correspondence. I would much rather you live the life of innocence I still know you to possess than to be bogged down in the vile underground your father has protected you from.

Fear not my love, there is not a star in the sky that does not spark a memory of our time together and I will never forget you. But now we must move on.

Matthew

No comments:

Post a Comment